December 01, 2017

1754 Fell St, North Panhandle


UPDATE: Since I last shot this Queen Anne more than a year ago it has sold so now there photos showing many original details....

3,210 square foot 5 bedroom 3.5 bath gently renovated Queen Anne Victorian with in-law unit built around 1900. Last sold for $2.425 million on November 17th of this year ($30K over asking).

Sans garage c. 1975

LISTING PHOTOS
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

© 2016-2017 sf_daily_photo

November 12, 2017

1785-1787 Broadway, Pacific Heights

c. 2017
3,647 square foot 6 bedroom 5.5 bath gently renovated Italianate Victorian duplex built in 1875. The entire building last sold for $990K in 2003. Currently listed for $3.645 million - $250K below original listing price. The property has been on the market since June of 2017.

c. 1975 Before garage
BROKER BABBLE: Beautiful Victorian with 2nd Unit! Lovely formal living & dining room, elegant staircase & foyer, 1/2 bath.

Large eat-in kitchen with Viking range, SubZero, gas fireplace & farmhouse sink. 2nd floor provides master with ensuite bath, 2 bedrooms, 2nd bath & laundry closet. French doors leading to large terraces flank the top floor media room, 4th bedroom & bath.

Perhaps just as exciting is the 4th view terrace spanning the roof! 4 gas fireplaces. High ceilings, h/w floors & charm. Don't miss the private rear unit with tiled garden, storage shed, open floor plan, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths & in-unit laundry. Perfect family compound, au pair or rental income. 3 car tandem garage with interior access.



c. 1975 San Francisco Architectural Survey

LISTING PHOTOS
♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎

© 2016-2017 sf_daily_photo

November 02, 2017

1074-1076 Dolores St, Noe Valley


WINFIELD S. DAVIS HOUSE designed by SCHMIDT & HAVENS in 1885. 4,072 square foot gently renovated Stick Eastlake style duplex Victorian. The lower flat consisting of 3 bedrooms and 3.5 baths in 2,553 square feet last sold for $1.505 million in 2012. Market value is $2.6 million.

2012 LISTING PHOTOS
✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤

WINFIELD S. DAVIS HOUSE - The Backstory
✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤

c. 1976
THIS WAS THE FIRST OF THE FOUR HOUSES BUILT IN THE DISTRICT. IT IS TYPICAL OF THE SAN FRANCISCO STICK STYLE WITH ITS PROPORTIONS, TWO-STORY RECTANGULAR BAY, AND ITS MORE LINEAR MOLDINGS.

OWNER DAVIS WAS AN INSURANCE AGENT/BROKER. ARCHITECT PETER SCHMIDT ALSO DESIGNED THE HAAS-LILIENTHAL HOUSE. ARCHITECT CHARLES HAVENS WAS BEST KNOWN IN THE FIRM HAVENS & TOEPKE OF THE MASKEY BUILDING AND MISSION HIGH SCHOOL.

THIS HOUSE HAS UNDERGONE SEVERAL MODIFICATIONS: IN 1892-99 IT WAS ALTERED WITH A SIDE BAY AND A 1 STOREY REAR ADDITION; c. 1915 IT GAINED AN EXTENSION INTO THE REAR YARD; IN 1915 IT WAS CONVERTED TO 2 FLATS AND THE FRONT AND REAR DOORS WERE REMODELED AND THE BRICK CHIMNEY WAS REMOVED; IN 1925 A 2ND FLOOR WAS ADDED TO REAR ELEVATION.

RECTANGUALR BAY WINDOWS, VERNACULAR WOOD TRIM, AND PRONOUNCED VERTICAL LINES DISTINGUISH THIS STICK STYLE RESIDENCE. BUILT IN 1885, IT IS FLANKED BY AN 1878 ITALIANATE AND AND A 1902 QUEEN ANNE. TOGETHER THE THREE PRESENT A SPECTURM OF THE MAJOR VICTORIAN STYLES. THE EXTERIOR OF 1076 DOLORES IS CLAD IN RUSTIC SIDING AND SHINGLES. THE DECORATIVE DETAIL ON THE GABLE AND PORCH BRACKETS RECALL THE RICHLY CARVED FLORIATE ORNAMENT OF THE HAAS-LILIENTHAL HOUSE, WHICH WAS DESIGNED BY ARCHITECT SCHMIDT IN 1886. THE DECORATIVE BUTONS ABOVE THE SECOND STORY BAY WNDOW WERE QUITE POPULAR IN THE 1880'S, WHEN MACHINE-MADE MILLWORK FIRST APPEARED.

THE FRONT DOORS (WITH GLASS FROM THE JOHN SPREKELS MANSION), SIDE WREATHS, AND CHIMNEY WERE ADDED BY THE PRESENT OWNER. THE BUILDING WAS DIVIDED INTO TWO FLATS IN 1915, AND SINCE 1972 THE CURRENT OWNER HAS BEEN METICULOUSLY RE-VICTORIANIZING THE LOWER FLAT. VINTAGE ETCHED GLASS, LIGHT FIXTURES, ORNAMENTAL BRACKETS, AND MARBLE FIREPLACES WERE PURCHASED AT GARAGE SALES AND ANTIQUE SHOWS.

THE PARLOR RETAINS ITS ELEGANT PROPORTIONS, AND THE GAS LIGHTING HAS BEEN RESTORED. THE SECOND, FAMILY PARLOR, BECAME A BEDROOM IN 1915, BUT NOW FUNCTIONS AS AN OFFICE SPACE AND SITTING ROOM. HERE THE CEILING MEDALLION IS ORIGINAL, BUT OTHER ROOMS FEATURE PLASTER REPRODUCTIONS BY VICTORIAN ALLIANCE MEMBER AGNES PRITCHARD. IN 1885 THE HOUSE EXTENDED ONLY AS FAR AS THE PRESENT DINING ROOM. THE REST WAS ADDED IN THE 1890'S, AS WAS THE CARRIAGE HOUSE IN THE COURTYARD BEHIND. EACH BUILDING IN THE COURTYARD HAS BEEN PAINTED A DIFFERENT COLOR AND ENHANCED WITH GINGERBREAD, CREATING THE ILLUSION OF A VICTORIAN STREETSCAPE (VICTORIAN ALLIANCE, 1993).

DETAILS

© 2016-2017 sf_daily_photo