June 22, 2019

10 Carmel St or 1249 Clayton St Old Engine 40, Cole Valley

c. 1976
c. 1910

Engine Company No. 40
10 Carmel St or 1249 Clayton Street
Built 1909

This Mission Revival firehouse, built in 1909, was converted from horse and wagon to motorized apparatus in 1917.

Engine Company No. 40 served this neighborhood until 1956 when it moved to new quarters at 1145 Stanyan Street.

The firehouse continued to be for general storage and by the fireman assigned to Asbury Tank across the street. It was sold at public auction in the 1970's and is now a private residence.

Historic Carmel Firehouse Unit For Sale (Hoodline 2014)

Vintage San Francisco Firehouses (NoeHill)

Company History (Guardians of the City)

© 2016-2019 sf_daily_photo

June 21, 2019